English is one of the major subjects at school, but many pupils find difficulties early on with this subject. Often times, these difficulties stay unresolved or are overlooked by the teachers or parents, thus, affecting their grades and their self-esteem when it comes to their academic performance.
This is the main reason why English tuition is in high demand for children from primary until their further education in Ireland and the UK.
Achieving a great level of English as a native speaker and from an early age is crucial to perform well in all the other subjects as well. Several pupils are overwhelmed by the grammatical rules, the tricky spelling and text construction. Thus altering their reading, writing, and comprehension of the English language. Making it very challenging for them to perform well in subjects they enjoy.
This often happens because one teacher can not always keep track of all the children's levels, at school pupils learn at a certain speed, many fall behind and carry their struggles from class to class, thus affecting their grades.
Reaching out to a private English tutor is meant to help your child solve and relearn what it finds difficult on the English curriculum, and thus improve their overall marks and boost their confidence at school.
Reasons to consider private English lessons
Private English lessons are tailored to your children's weaknesses and strengths. The tutor will adapt their lessons and present an approach that is optimal for your children's learning style.
However, some tutor has different approaches and methodologies, making it hard to find the most adapted English tutor for your children. This task is not always easy and needs patience and dedication.
Once you find the tutor with the pedagogy that fits your children learning style, they will be able to help them in every aspect of their difficulties.
But where do you start looking? And what should you be looking for when searching for your next English tutor?
How to find and choose the right English tutor for your family
There are many options out there to start looking for an English tutor, here we will review the main places where you can start looking.
Where to look for
When you start looking for an English tutor, you will see that many platforms and options exist to find a tutor that offers their services. This mean that you will need to dedicate enough time to finding a tutor that is suitable for your needs.
- Company English tutor:Hourly rates vary from one company to the other. Most companies are registered businesses or institutions, thus making the general running cost higher due to taxation. The main advantage of using tutoring companies is the guarantee of each tutors' level of qualifications and experience. Since most of them must hold an A Level or undergraduate degree in their teaching subject.The main disadvantage of companies tutoring styles is their rigidity in the teaching curriculum. You can find English tutors in these settings that will give you a lot of structure and discipline. However, if you are looking for an English tutor that allows more versatility during your lessons and that can offer you a tailored experience, this might be more difficult or not possible to find in this option.
If you have already discussed with another parent or friend about English tutors for their children, they might know someone they can recommend to you. The best part of recommendations is that the tutor's experience is proven or approved by someone you know, a key benefit is the added security.
- Tutor platforms:
Another option is private English tutors, which you can find on different platforms across the internet. There is so much to choose from that it makes it difficult to know what you should be looking for, for fulfilling your needs. Here are the essentials you should look out for, this will guide and find what adjust to your budget and level.
What to look for
When searching online, the information can be overwhelming, making it very difficult to find what you require. Here are a few elements you can take into consideration and add to your research to narrow it down and help you find what you require.
- Qualifications or certificates: On Superprof, all tutors qualifications are verified to make sure that your search for a tutor is safe and secure. Qualifications are important if you are looking for a tutor that has a certificate in pedagogy or a specific teaching methodology in addition to their English degree. In this section, you can also see if the tutors are familiar with specific school curricula and have the certificates to teach them.
- Experience and Reviews: If your tutor does not have all the qualifications you are looking for, experience and reviews are significant, and sometimes can even be as essential as qualifications. The great aspect about this criterium is that you are able to read the experience of past or current students with a specific tutor. This allows you to know first-hand how the tutor is and if this is compatible with your necessities. In addition, if a teacher has little or no experience, most tutors offer a free first class, which lets you get to know the tutor and their teaching style.
Superprof platform values the sharing of knowledge and experience and seeks to help passionate tutors to find their suitable student match.
How much can you expect to spend on private English tuition?
In Ireland, there are approximately 428 English tutors, their prices vary from €1 to €50 per hour. The country average is €17 per hour, which means there is a broad spectrum of English tutors available.
The following criteria affect their prices:
- Location: This factor plays a role in the hourly rates because the living expenses of certain cities or capitals affect the price of services. In order to afford their living expenses, tutors must adapt to the city and global and local market demand, which makes it sometimes very challenging for them to set a price that is competitive. An English tutor from Dublin will probably have a higher rate than a tutor from the countryside, but this does not mean that their experience and qualifications are any less important!
- Experience: The more experience does a tutor have, the higher their hourly rates will be. However, if a teacher has little or no experience, most tutors offer a free first class, which lets you get to know the tutor and their teaching style.
- Qualifications or certificates: The more qualifications do tutors have, the more likely are their prices going to be elevated.
Benefits in the short and long term for you and your child
Several benefits come with the help of an English tutor, which is not only for pupils that are struggling academically or whose parents want to push their children to excel in their studies.
The main benefit, regardless of your child's level, will be the improvement of their skills, self-discipline to study alone and be more independent.
If you are looking for English lessons that are for teenagers and adults, this will also be beneficial for them and their confidence and excel in presenting themselves and their work.
English is part of our everyday lives, feeling confident and secure in your native language will only open you more doors at every level.
The platform that connects tutors and students