There are so many reasons to take grinds for leaving cert maths, maths can be one of the more challenging subjects for students. Often, grinds from outside of the school environment can help students learn new tips and even mnemonic devices which can aid them when it comes to retrieving memories to help with specific formulas during the exam.
"The essence of math is not to make simple things complicated, but to make complicated things simple."
There are so many topics covered in the 2 years of the Leaving Cert syllabus, that often grinds from a fresh perspective can help students sort out their approach to these different styles of questions.
Top Reasons to Take Leaving Cert Maths Grinds
It's important to remember that taking grinds, in any subject, doesn't guarantee to double someone's points/grade. The main purpose of taking grinds is to ensure you achieve your full potential in the exam, which naturally can bring a small increase in your grades/points. Often it is this 'small increase' which makes all the difference when it comes to getting into your desired course.
There are all sorts of reasons why students take grinds, some of the most commonly noted stress-related reasons include:
- Poor teaching
- Disruptive / to large class
- Student/ Teacher consistent absence (illness)
- Competition for spaces or points to get into third-level education.
However, you shouldn't have to feel overwhelmed or at a disadvantage in order to seek out help developing your mathematical abilities. There are lots of reasons everybody should take leaving cert maths grinds, even just a revision course could help.
The top 5 reasons you should take grinds:
- To improve your maths grade.
- To get into your preferred 3rd Level or Further Education Course.
- To receive one-to-one personalised and detailed feedback, advice and direction.
- To give extra attention to your problem topics, focusing on specific areas of a subject instead of just general revision can improve your skills in topics you need to.
- To focus on developing your mathematical knowledge, skills and understanding for the exams.
"I hated science in high school. Technology? Engineering? Math? Why would I ever need this? Little did I realize that music was also about science, technology, engineering and mathematics, all rolled into one."
Where Can I Find Maths Grinds Near Me?
Let us take a look at some of the Leaving Cert Maths courses and grinds available in some locations around Ireland
- Meath - Navan and Kells Grinds is located in the centre of Navan town county Meath and offers mid-term and Easter "intensive grinds".
- Louth - Drogheda Grinds Academy offers grinds both throughout the school year and during mid-terms.
- Wicklow - Exam Focus Ireland is based in 2 locations within the county, Greystones and Wicklow Town.
- Kildare - Leinster Senior College is located in Newbridge and offers intense revision courses.
- Carlow - The Carlow Academy offers assisted study and grinds courses throughout the academic year.
- Clare - Kilmartin Educational Services in Ennis Co.Clare offer grinds for both the Junior Cert and Leaving Cert cycle.
- Kerry - Scotia Academy in Tralee offers all sorts of grinds from one-to-one lessons to intense revision courses.
Above are just a few of the smaller locations across Ireland that provide grinds, it is much easier to search for grinds in the more densely populated areas such as Cork, Dublin and even Galway.
Maths Grinds Online - Where and How to go About Finding Them.
If you prefer to study in your own space, but still want to take grinds to ensure you achieve your best possible Leaving Cert results, online tuition could be exactly what you're looking for.
There are so many options to choose from when it comes to online tuition, below is just a small example:
- Tuition Farm
- The Learning Academy
- First Tutors
These are just the most popular options but there is actually a lot more online grinds facilities than those which have been noted. However, we are going to focus on Superprof.
At Superprof there are several tutors offering grinds in Maths. You can choose your tutor from a large selection, you can also pick times that suit you and take as many or as few revision/preparation classes as you need. No matter what the subject, if you choose to take grinds with Superprof, you will see they are affordable, as they start from just €10 and they are flexible, which makes them super convenient!
The Superprof homepage is really easy to navigate, which means you can find the perfect Maths Tutor for you within minutes! All you have to do is select the subject you would like to take lessons in, and add your area then search for a full list of tutors and their fees. A lot of the time you even get your first lesson free, which makes Superprof even better value!
Words of Advice - Leaving Cert - Maths
I know this article has pointed out all the best ways to achieve your best possible maths grade in the Leaving Cert, yet it is important to remember that Irish students and the Leaving Cert Maths exams have a rocky history, with many teachers even calling the exams too difficult. I say this only to remind you that not everyone achieves their goals on the first go-round. There is no shame in re-sitting an exam or re-sitting your entire Leaving Cert if necessary.
The important thing is to keep trying and not let it knock your confidence. Remember, everyone gets the Leaving Cert nerves, even if they say they don't, they do.
It's ok, all big life events come with a bit of 'omg' and 'what's next?' the important thing is to take regular breaks, keep hydrated and if it's really getting under your skin, talk about it. Whether it is with someone you know or you want to talk to someone outside of your circle, often times a problem shared is a problem halved. Services like Spun Out are there to help you through difficult times.
"Stay true to yourself, yet always be open to learn. Work hard, and never give up on your dreams, even when nobody else believes they can come true but you. These are not cliches but real tools you need no matter what you do in life to stay focused on your path."
For more help and guidance when it comes to Leaving Cert Maths, visit the following articles:
For past maths exam papers and marking schemes, across all three Leaving Cert Levels, you can visit The Leaving Cert.
The platform that connects tutors and students