LinkedIn gives you the chance to show yourself off professionally to the world. Not only in your best light but also to express yourself, establish yourself as a leader in your industry and add some personality to your profile.
Linked In allows you to network with like-minded individuals, you can use it to:
- do Job search for Vacancies,
- find jobs with full time or part time contracts,
- to be headhunted,
- to use your recruiting services to help the job seeker,
- to share and engage with industry professionals,
- to find highly exclusive jobs,
- to engage customers and clients,
- to read industry information
- not to mention getting your foot in the door at some of the top companies in the world with the use of your network.
The LinkedIn corporation can be your ally as you build your professional career, your knowledge and experience. Let's take a look at how to get started on Linkedin and how you can use the social platform.
How To Register With Linkedin
The first thing to do is head to the LinkedIn website and sign up for an account. To get an account, you have to provide the following:
- Your full name as you want to be addressed professionally
- Your professional or work email address
- Set up a password on the account
- Add a professional photo to your account
When you complete your profile, it will show up in the search results and be discoverable publicly (privacy settings dependent). Having a 100% complete profile helps you to be discovered and shows that you are serious about making connections.
An Active Profile Has The Following Elements
- A headline
- An interesting LinkedIn summary section
- Your CV
- Your personal mission statement
- Highlighted skills and experience
To help with the discoverability of your strengths and accomplishments, you should use industry keywords throughout your profile. Adding searchable terms throughout your profile will help your profile show up when people are looking for someone with your skills.
- Try to vary the words that you use for example if you are an admin assistant don’t keep writing admin assistant. Instead, try to think about what people might search for. Words such as ‘office worker, administrator, secretary, office assistant and office administrator’ could all be words which could be used throughout the profile of an admin assistant to get more views to their profile page.
- Make sure to fill in all of the contact information sections on your profile to make sure that you can be contacted by interested parties like a Hiring manager, head hunter or recruiter. LinkedIn gives you space for other social media handles, websites/links, addresses, phone numbers and email addresses. Use as many of them as possible to allow people to contact you using their preferred method of communication.
- Join and participate in LinkedIn groups to build your networks. Industry related groups are the place that people gather to meet, discuss and share. You can share relevant articles in your groups to build your authority within the group. This will also serve to provide you with a strong chance of being put forward for opportunities should they arise.
How Can You Find A Job With Linkedin?
Well, now you have a LinkedIn profile, what are you going to do with it? Many people use LinkedIn to find work and you can too. It may seem challenging to understand how to use LinkedIn in this way but with the tips, I will give you below it will all become clear.
LinkedIn has actually optimised its platform for people who are looking for employment. There is even a built-in job market portal where recruiters can post jobs and job seekers can do active Job searching to find a role.
The benefit of finding a job on LinkedIn is that you get to build a multimedia profile that highlights your skills, experience and shows why you would be great for any role that you apply for. It really is one of the most exciting ways to use the job search engine to find a new job. As it allows you to level out the playing field by demonstrating your knowledge and skills in videos, text posts, and shared content. You can also get friends, acquaintances and colleagues to endorse the skills and experience that you have presented.
Find the best online computer courses on Superprof's platform.
With your professional network working with you, your experience no longer holds quite as much weight as it might if you were in an interview using just a CV to show off your skills. One of the hugely important ways that LinkedIn works is that it allows you to build authority in your industry and rapport with people who visit your profile.
This is why curating your LinkedIn profile and taking time to complete it and keep it updated is essential. This profile serves as your one click, anytime, anywhere digital representative, and it reached out through all of your networks and beyond to help you get the best role and opportunities.
Let look at a few tips that you can use to stand out among the millions of other people on LinkedIn
How To Stand Out On Linkedin
Walking the uncommon path online sounds hard, but the truth is that most people set up their profile and then sit back waiting for jobs to come to them. If a Jobseeker doesn’t optimise their visibility and spend time actively searching for jobs, they can lose out. Doing a few easy things differently can easily help you to stand out in the crowd.
- Share your LinkedIn profile link, in uncommon places; Although LinkedIn is online, it doesn’t have to stay there. Download your free LinkedIn QR code and share it everywhere. You can also do the same with your profile link. Try adding it to your email signature, printing it onto your CV, add to business cards or websites etc.
- Tell people that you are looking for work and what kind of work you are looking for.
- Publish a piece of content every week and share a piece of relevant content every week
- Join industry groups and care about others by answering questions, offer help and support.
- Get recommendations and endorsements from people who know you
Top Tips For Professional Social Networking
When you meet with someone face to face it is much easier to build rapport because you can see the person. Small physical clues tell you how the meeting is going. If they laugh, you know that they are enjoying the conversation if they frown perhaps they are not enjoying it.
However, when networking online, it can be very challenging to read the verbal clues from the people that you are communicating with. This becomes even more critical when you consider that the people that you are talking with could be your clients, recruiters, employers or even customers.
Whenever you communicate you give small clues as to what you are comfortable with or how you feel. Body language which is your facial expressions, the way you move your body, and how you speak them. While body language is useless to help you with online networking. The words that people use can serve as clues to help you build positive rapport.
Online Etiquette For Professional Networking
So how can you use online etiquette to give you a head start and become a strong and engaging communicator? Let's take a look
- Match the way that you write with the other person. Always begin more formally to avoid offending the person or appearing unprofessional. For example, if you receive an email with ‘Dear John’, you should reply using their first name in your reply. However, if they use a more formal ‘Dear Mr Smith’, then you should respond in the same manner.
- We often feel like we have a rapport with people who are like us or think like us. In this case, you should read something that the person that you are contacting has written and purposefully use language that is in line with theirs. Also, you can quote them or agree with a point that they have made. This is equivalent to a professional complement and will help the recruiter feel like you are attentive and focused on the communication.
- Share exciting news or content with the person you are talking to in bite-sized pieces and see what they connect to and talk about most.
Having proper online etiquette and the ability to build rapport with people is the key to making connections with people who might be able to support you in achieving your goals.
How To Post A Job On LinkedIn Job Boards
If already have your dream job but need a workforce of qualified staff to help with the continued success of your company. LinkedIn has an unlimited supply of talented individuals just waiting to meet you. Here is one way that you can find them using LinkedIn:
- Set up your personal profile.
- Create the company page, This will be the page candidates visit to learn about your company.
- To create a job, you will click the briefcase icon. Following the prompts, LinkedIn will give you’re a rough idea of how many people could be interested in the role base on the job title you have entered.
- Next, you need to take the time to create a job description. It's worth taking your time with this and adding as much information as possible about the job.
- The last step is to decide how job applicants will apply to the job listing, set the budget and checkout.
Whether you are looking for job opportunities, to offer recruitment services to the applicant or a company, searching for new customers or just building your network.
LinkedIn for business or for your career is one of the best places for you to focus your energy.
With the right strategies in place, LinkedIn can be a gold mine for your career and business. Not to mention that while you are using the social media platform, you are also building up a strong network and establishing yourself as a knowledgeable person in your field. So put down your boring paper CV and sign up for a powerful digital one. Good Luck!
The platform that connects tutors and students