Maths is possibly the most sought after subject to get a tutor for, not just online websites such as superprof, but also when it comes to in-school grinds and private individual tuition classes.
Maths is almost definitely one of the most important subjects you will learn in school. Max not only helps with everyday life skills such as budgeting are calculating change or how much petrol your vehicle might need, it also helps with careers in your future especially if you're into things such as engineering the sciences even baking or cosmetics everything comes down to quantity and quality.
"I think maths is the root of everything. If we understood every area of math, it would lead to improving our sense of science, physics, engineering, space travel... all those great things. Maths is a backbone for it."
If you're looking to improve your maths study skills or want to help your child achieve academic success, follow our guide to taking private maths lessons!
Reasons Why I Should Get a Maths Tutor
Maths can play a huge role not only in your academic career, Maths also plays an important role in everyday life, but sometimes Learning a subject as complicated as maths in school may not actually help the child to fully understand the subject. But why study maths with a private tutor?
Here are Superprof's top reasons to find a maths tutor:
- Benefit from teaching methods that are tailored to the pupil's individual needs: Before the first learning session, the educator will begin by assessing the student's strengths and weaknesses which they will then use to create a made-to-measure learning plan to turn them into a mathematician. For instance, if they're finding maths word problems difficult, the tutor will provide individualised maths worksheets to encourage the student. This ensures that the learner gets the most out of their one to one sessions.
- Help children better understand the world: Getting to grips with math concepts such as arithmetic, fractions and decimals can help in developing a new perspective and understanding of the world we live in, as well as the development of problem-solving skills.
- Future career: Gaining a good understanding of mathematics in childhood can pave the way for a career involving the subject. A child who is skilled at answering tricky maths questions could become an engineer, accountant, chemist - the list goes on!
- Learning without distractions: One on one tutoring means that the student has the undivided attention of the advising tutor, and likewise, the tutee has no other pupils to distract them from their trigonometry, geometry or algebraic equations!
- Learning how to learn: The individualised learning strategies developed by the tutor and tutee working together can be applied outside of private lessons. This means that if a child is falling behind at school, they are equipped with the knowledge to overcome the difficulties they face. This can also be useful when they enter adult life.
Why is it so Important to Learn Maths?
Mathematics is at the very heart of human nature. Since the dawn of time, humans have always had a desire to count, measure and put value on things. In fact before we had money will use value in bartering as a way of providing for families or villages. Through studying numbers, humans have made maths a rich and fascinating subject.
The human obsession with counting, telling time, and solving puzzles have led us to practise polynomial and quadratic equations, Pythagorean triples and evaluating the integral. Solving problems is in our DNA.
Maths and everything right down to the video and Sport games we play, just by being able to count our points we are using maths. Knowing how much we drink of something out how much we use that's also maths, not to mention how we use it when we are cooking to make sure we have enough food for people, we even use it to schedule our day right down to how we can use maths to know when we have time to watch your favourite TV show once we finish doing all your work. Maths is everywhere, so it's only natural the way we learn it is changing.
Teachers have even taken to setting maths homework online on maths websites such as My Maths and IXL Maths to show their pupils that maths is fun. Putting math worksheets into the form of free maths games for kids can encourage them to play interactive math games in their spare time.
When we pose the question of what makes math in real life so important, the answer is simple:
A good understanding of maths gives people the tools to make sense of the society in which they live.
Being skilled in mathematics can also be advantageous when it comes to playing games as it encourages curiosity problem-solving.
There are plenty of benefits to mathematics education in daily life, too. You can do your own accounting, do your taxes, work out percentages, distances, proportions or probability in games.
Finally, it is your professional life that will throw the most difficult math problems at you. No matter what your field, it most likely involves some form of calculation. From working as an architect to being a cashier at a till, a good grasp on addition and subtraction, graphing, multiplication and reasoning will always come in handy.
How Can I Find a Maths Tutor Near Me?
Now you're familiar with the importance of maths problems both in school and in day-to-day life, let's move on to finding a maths tutor.
Why not starting looking within your local area? Keep an eye out for people advertising private at home tutoring some of the places you might come across these advertisements include:
- Community halls
- Sports halls
- Local shops
- Your GP surgery
- School noticeboard
- Community Facebook pages
You mind find a tutoring centre which offers lessons in a small group so that pupils can learn together as a form of peer tutoring.
If getting to and from a specific location is difficult for you or just not what you're looking for, or you're a little bit shy and would prefer to do your lessons by yourself why not take a look at online tuition?
Many websites like Superprof offer you directories of tutors all over the island of Ireland. Finding an online tutor can give you the freedom to take your lessons anywhere - all you need is a wifi connection! Looking for maths help on the internet is the most efficient way to find online and in-home tutors near you.
You won't just find tutors of maths online either, find yourself a maths and physics tutor, find a chemistry tutor - there are tutors for all kinds of subjects!
Since many private educators already have teaching experience in the classroom, they are able to make their academic tutoring services exam board specific. These tutors will go through maths past papers to help students get to grips with what the exam boards are looking for. Working through Junior and senior cycle maths questions, Past exam papers, or even trying out maths games such as sudoku, will not only help students with the subject itself but will also give them peace of mind on exam day.
How do I Choose the Right Maths Tutor
As mentioned at the start of this article, maths is probably the most requested subject for tuition, so you most likely have a lot to choose from.
The next step is to sort through the tutors you've found to ensure you make the right decision.
We recommend first asking each tutor about their personal experience in giving private lessons. This is important since providing maths lessons on a one on one basis differs greatly from teaching a class of 30, and so a math tutor must be able to easily adapt their teaching methods to the situation.
Choosing someone who is passionate about teaching maths may also mean choosing between someone who holds no teaching qualifications and a certified teacher. If you need help choosing the right tutor, we recommend that you prepare a few questions you would like to ask each potential tutor before scheduling a session. For example:
- Can you provide a reference?
- How many years of experience do you have as a home tutor?
- What is your highest level of qualification in the subject you teach?
- How would your past students describe you?
The math teacher you choose should have enough expertise to teach at the level of study you are looking for. This will ensure that their methods suit the learning style of the tutee and that they are well-equipped to answer any questions the student may have. For example, if you are looking for lessons for the junior cycle, perhaps someone who is studying college maths would be alright to teach you whereas, if you're learning senior cycle, particularly at a higher level you would be more suited to a fully qualified maths tutor.
How Much Does Maths Tutoring Cost?
Since we have looked at the many benefits of working with a maths tutor, the next thing we should look at is definitely the cost of a private maths tutor?
The prices for hiring a maths tutor can really vary, this depends on many factors including:
- Your location - the busier the area you live in and the more students that have hired a demand for tutors will be some naturally this will drive the prices up.
- What level you are studying at
- Whatever type of tutoring you want whether it's individual, group or crash courses they all have different prices.
FREE Online Maths Lessons with Youtube
Many certified teachers such as those at The Dublin Academy of Education are uploading their maths lessons to Youtube.
This is a popular resource for students who are working through maths past papers since they are usually exam specific. So if you want to work through the Junior cycle or leaving cert past papers, you'll find a video for your exact practice paper.
This method of revision is useful for students as they can pause, rewind, and replay parts of the lesson at any point and, of course, it's completely free! All you need is a Wifi connection.
And if you're not preparing to sit an exam, there are plenty of videos teaching general maths. So if you want to refresh your mind in maths and feeling curious why not try a quick search?
Just remember that no matter your age, your location or your maths ability, lessons can help you to understand maths as well as open up more career prospects for you.
However, you decide to test out your maths grind we wish you all the best.
The platform that connects tutors and students