I have just finished a PhD in English Literature (University of Reading) and are currently based in Glasgow. With a deep enthusiasm for my subject, I aim to ensure each student performs to the best of their ability! Sessions are between 1 and 2 hours according to the needs of the student - either 1-to-1 at the student's home or through Skype. All lessons are academically rigorous, while tailored to the needs and interests of the student. As a person, I am friendly and attentive, and always look forward to meeting new students!
I have almost 3 years of experience, teaching variously as a sessional lecturer and as a private tutor.
My experience covers KS3, through to GCSE (and Scottish N5), as well as first year undergraduate students. I have experience leading small seminar groups (15 students) as well as 1-to-1 sessions and online tutoring.
King’s School Chester—2003-2010
• A Levels (English Literature (A*), History (A), Philosophy (B))
University of Liverpool—2010-2013
• English Language and Literature BA (2:1)
University of Reading—2013-
• English (Res) MA (Distinction) (2013-2014)
• English literature PhD (Oct 2014- projected submission date, September 2017)
PhD Researcher in English Literature—2014-2017
Conducting research for Thesis on the work of Samuel Beckett and his American reception and publication histories.
• Capacity to work independently and efficiently. Managing my own time effectively.
• Experience drawing inferences from vast amounts of published material.
• Collaborating with other academics in the department and contributing to research community in Reading.
• Confidence with archival research (University Special Collections/British Library/Oxford Bodleian).
• Public speaking: presenting ongoing research in a variety of settings; informally, for Departmental examination, and at UK and international academic conferences.
• Writing for different purposes: oral presentation, peer-reviewed publication, class preparation
English Literature and Language tutor: Tutor Doctor Berkshire and Glasgow—2015 - 2017
• Private one-to-one lessons tailored to preferences and demands of the subject.
• Experience teaching students at a variety of levels: including KS2, 11+ GCSE (year 10/11, as well as Scottish N5), and IGCSE.
• Online tutoring, through Skype
• Success in engaging students who generally might not enjoy subject at school, with a proven track record of positive results
Sessional Lecturer, Department of English Literature, University of Reading—covering academic year 2015/2016 – Autumn term 2016
Seminar Leader for ‘Poetry in English’ Part 1 module.
• Rigorous lesson planning. Ensuring preparation for classes each term.
• Conducting engaging seminars for groups of 15 students. Addressing questions concerning seminar topic and the module as a whole.
• Capacity to use different teaching strategies and group work according to the demands of each class.
• Pastoral care. Responding to both emotional and academic demands of the seminar room. Contacting personal tutors for individual students where relevant. Keeping Senior Tutor and academic administrator informed.
Shadowing/ad-hoc teaching, Department of English Literature, University of Reading, October 2014-March 2015
During Autumn term 2014 I shadowing Professor Peter Stoneley, an experienced academic working in the field of English Literature. This included advising and assisting in the execution of undergraduate seminars, culminating in my independently conducting seminars at both Part 1 and Part 2 levels during Autumn 2014 (‘Modern American Literature’) and Easter 2015 (‘Writing America’).
english lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest english literature lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, literacy lessons for all!
Taking poetry lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||€23||€21|