Hey, are you finding chemistry hard? You are not alone. I have tutored lots of people in both undergraduate level and below, so I have plenty of experience in helping you pass your exams and finally understand what is going on in your lectures/classes.
Most people have problems with understanding the basics, so in my lessons we will consolidate the basics and then build from there. The ultimate goal is for you to do well in you exams. Understanding how the physical world behaves is a nice side perk.
I have been teaching undergraduates in both teaching labs, tutorials lectures and private lessons for over four years. I have taught classes of up to 40 people and i have had over 5 private students. Overall, feedback from my students has been very positive with one girl crediting me with her admittance to medical school. Out of the 5 private students all improved their chemistry grades, with one getting an A at the end of the year (up from a previous D in her tests before I started teaching her). I have only tutored chemistry so far, however as my PhD is in biological chemistry I also have the ability to teach biology and biochemistry.
- Chemistry with Medicinal Chemistry MSci 2.I
- Just submitted my thesis for a PhD in chemistry from the University of Glasgow
Previous Teaching experiences
June – July 2016 and 2017 Lecturer at the chemistry summer school
Taught approximately 50 students
40 hours over 2 weeks both years
Rewrote lectures and assignments
Held tutorial sessions
Marked assignments and tests
Oct. 2013 – March 2017 Demonstrator in the undergraduate teaching labs
Responsible for laboratory safety
Marked lab reports
Demonstrated correct use of apparatus
Oct. 2013 – March 2017 Practical chemistry demonstrations at open days
Delivered visibly exciting chemistry experiments
Answered questions from prospective students and family members
Guided tour of the chemistry facilities
June 2016 and 2017 Judge at the Salters festival
Supervised teams of primary and secondary pupils
Responsible for laboratory safety
Explained science behind experiments
Oct. 2015 – present Private chemistry tutor
Taught every topic from the 1st and 2nd year undergraduate syllabus
Oct. 2013 – March 2017 PhD, University of Glasgow, Prof Richard Hartley
Sept.2012 – March 2013 Final year project for MSci degree, Dr David France
Sept. 2011 – June 2012 Placement year at the Philips Universtät Marburg, in Germany, Professor Koert.
June – July 2011 Summer placement, University of Utrecht, in Holland, Dr Nathaniel Martin
June 2010 Summer placement, University of Glasgow, Dr George Baillie
- Jan 2017 7 minutes of science talks. Talking about my research
- August 2016 Presented poster at EMBO Chemical Biology conference in Heidelberg, Germany
- Nov. 2015 Fame lab Scotland contestant
- October 2015 Bright club – research stand-up comedy
- June 2015 Science Slam Glasgow participant
- June 2015 Presented poster at ISACS16 –Challenges in Chemical Biology conference in Zurich, Switzerland
- July 2015 and June 2016 Glasgow Explorathon a large open outreach event held at the Glasgow Science festival. I designed an activity based on a board game to illustrate the drug design process
- July 2015 - Glasgow Science festival internship
- June 2015 Presented poster at WestChem postgraduate conference
- July 2014 - 2nd place at the Research bake off at the University of Glasgow
- July 2014 - Volunteering at the Glasgow science festival
I am also a registered STEM Ambassador.
-Thomas, D., Koopmans, T., Lakowski, T. M., Kreinin, H., Vhuiyanm M. I., et al. Protein Arginine N-Methyltransferase Substrate Preferences for Different Nh-Substituted Arginyl Peptides ChemBioChem. 2014, 15, 1607-1613
-Pawellek, A., Ryder, U., Tammsalu, T., King, L. J., Kreinin, H., Ly, T., Hartley, R. C., Lamond, A. I., Characterisation of the biflavonoid hinokiflavone as a pre-mRNA splicing modulator that inhibits SENP eLife 2017, 6, e27402
chemistry lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest geometry lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, other sciences lessons for all!
Taking biochemistry lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||€29||€23|
|5 hours||Not available||€23||€117|
|10 hours||Not available||€21||€234|